5 tbsps sugar (any sugar although granulated is better)
2 tbsps golden syrup
1 tspn bicarbonate of soda
(chocolate if you wish to cover your cinder toffee)
1. Line a small baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Place the sugar and syrup in a medium sized saucepan.
3. Without stirring, allow the mixture to melt, just shake the saucepan a little to ensure it has mixed together.
4. The mix will bubble up and when it has turned a deep golden colour drop a tiny bit into a glass of water, if it goes into a firm ball, it is ready.
5. Quickly whisk in the bicarbonate of soda. This will cause the toffee to bubble up a lot.
6. Pour the bubbling toffee straight into the lined baking tray and allow to cool.
Before the toffee has set completely, it's a good idea to lightly mark squares on it with a knife as this means you can break it neatly when it is set. Don't use these