100g chopped toasted pumpkin seeds or pecans (optional)
100g butter, softened
1 (200g) tub cream cheese, softened
450g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g chopped toasted pumpkin seeds
carrot peelings to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a 9inch/ 23cm cake tin.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, caster sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
3. Mix in flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots and fold in pecans or pumpkin seeds if using. Pour into the prepared tin.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in cake tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
5. To Make topping: a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, icing sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.. Spread over the top of cake when it has cooled. Decorate with toasted seeds or pecans and carrot peelings.
You cannot beat this classic carrot cake recipe. This was handed down by my mum, and is a failsafe recipe that can survive freezing, making into a loaf, muffins or a huge three tier number. This recipe makes enough for two layers.
Suitable from 1 year
Cook: 50 minutes
Suitable for freezing uniced
TIP: To avoid lumps in the icing, make sure the butter and cheese are very soft.