What are you looking for?

Baby Died After Mum's Kiss

Baby Died After Mum's Kiss

Newborn baby Jennifer Schofield died because her mother kissed her

The inquest in Lancashire heard that the baby died from Herpes Simplex virus in in November 2006. Little Jennifer was barely 11 days old when her vital organs failed after contracting a strain of Herpes - HSV which is the type passed on through a cold sore. .

35 year old mother, Ruth, probably transmitted the virus to her newborn daughter by kissing her or breastfeeding.

The coroner said that nobody was to be blamed for failing to spot the virus.

It was likely that Miss Schofield probably caught HSV in the last stages of her pregnancy after she developed flu-like symptoms a few days before giving birth.

Miss Schofield has since been a fervent campaigner aiming to raise awareness of the condition, which unbelievably kills an estimated six babies a year in the UK.

She said: "I have been left totally devastated and heartbroken by the death of Jennifer. The pain has not lessened ...more needs to be done as this can happen to anyone without them knowing about it."

February 2009

Your Journey

Mini Dip Pancakes

Mini Dip Pancakes

1.Make a well in 125g self-raising flour and 5ml (1 level teaspoon) baking powder. Add 1 medium-size…

Get inspired with our selected recipes
Full Recipe