All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: im thinking of....
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009 14:51 
Silver Member
Silver Member

trying cloth nappies with freya....but where the hell do i start????

i have no clue about them but i would like to try them out.....

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

thanks,
a very eager but confused fifi
xxxxx

Post subject: Re: im thinking of....
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009 14:58 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

All I can say is - you are a better woman than me.....i am just too damn lazy!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009 14:59 
Silver Member
Silver Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009 17:28 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: you can buy some of ebay even tho some people do seel some dodgy ones :?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009 18:32 
Silver Member
Silver Member

i just saw some on ebay...cant put the link up but this is the item number if you wanna look...120408557531.user name willow 1827

what do you think?
xx

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009 18:47 
Silver Member
Silver Member

CatBarry wrote:
All I can say is - you are a better woman than me.....i am just too damn lazy!

Oh me too!! But good on all you ladies who do!

PostPosted: 01 May 2009 07:54 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Hi Fifi,

There is so much information available on cloth nappies it does get really confusing. The key things you need to decide are:

1) what type of system - two part (a fabric nappy with a separate waterproof layer), a pocket nappy where the waterproof layer is part of the nappy (these come in two types - all in ones where the booster is sewn in or stuffables where you stuff them with the booster you have chosen).

2) sized or an adjustable system - I prefer the one-size systems as you have less nappies to store for the next child but they don't tend to last as long as they are being used for the entire time you are using nappies. Other systems have a one-sized nappy but the waterproof wraps are sized.

3) what fastening - nappy nippas (the new version of safety pins), velcro/aplix or poppers. Nappy nippas apparently take a little practice (I've never used them) , velcor/aplix is by far the easiest and closest to a disposable but some children learn to undo them and you have problems with toddler streaking! Poppers cannot be undone so easily.

I highly recommend Baby Kind (just google for them) they hae a wide range of nappies and if you check in their clearance section you can pick up some real bargains which would enable you to try out a variety of nappies to see what works for you. My favourite nappies so far are Mommy's Touch All In Ones for sheer convenience - everything is sewn in together no need to separate for washing, they dry quickly and they are from birth to potty and are quite slim for a nappy like this. They also come in lovely colours - we have green, blue and red :D

I've used tots bots bamboozles, wonderoos, mommy's touch and one life so happy to advise on any of these. If you have any questions on using reusable nappies just get in touch - cloth nappy tree (again just google it) is a really fantastic resource for learning about cloth nappies too.

Best of luck trying them - they really aren't that difficult and you never have to worry about going down to the shops as you've run out of nappies!

Emma
xx

PostPosted: 01 May 2009 08:00 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

yummie_mummie wrote:
i just saw some on ebay...cant put the link up but this is the item number if you wanna look...120408557531.user name willow 1827

what do you think?
xx

Just had a quick look at this and it looks good - it occurs to me that they hadn't given the sizes in the listing though - tots bots come in two sizes one up to around six months and another which fits most babies to potty training. You can use the second size as a birth to potty apparently but I haven't tried it (and be wary of the velcro fixing for this). Also for full time use you would want to buy around 15-20!

As Loura said - be wary about buying nappies from ebay (although these look fine!) i managed to buy some counterfeit bumgenius nappies and if I hadn't ruined them by putting them in the tumble dryer I never would have known until it was too late to get the money back through PayPal.

Emma
xx

PostPosted: 01 May 2009 19:12 
Silver Member
Silver Member

thankyou so much for your advice girls.....im gonna keep browsing and hopefuly buy a couple over the weekend to try out.

thanks again!! [smilie=001_icon16.gif]
xx :D

PostPosted: 01 May 2009 21:49 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Not sure if your council do this, but mine are trying to encourage you to use reusables, so have set up a group which advises you about them. Think they give away samples, might be on there website??? Might be worth trying before you buy :D