All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011 16:40 

Hi everyone,

I need some advice as im at the end of my tether!
My baby girl is 6 months old and she wakes up every 1-2 hours. She has never slept peacefully since she was born, she is constantly stirring and fidgeting all through the night and this wakes her up so often. It isnt that she is hungry it seems that something irritates her through the night. She does break wind so i always thought it was a digestive problem but now im not to sure?? I have spoken to Docs & Health Visitor but nothing helps. I have tried Natural Tea's, warm baths, lavender oil....... the list goes on. She also still wants feeding twice through the night.
I am going nuts with the sleep deprivation and would love to know if any other mummies have the same problem..
Thankyou

Jade

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011 19:07 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Oh dear, Some babies just dont get that bedtime routine as quick as others.

My 2nd child was terrible, he never slept a full night until he was 18mths old! He was breastfed which was the main reason, even when he was on solids he still got up loads in the night - I was a zombie!

Is your baby breastfed??

If she is still wanting breast twice a night then I would say this is your reason - comfort and reassurance that mummy is there - try offering water instead, after a few nights of no milk and just water you may find that she chooses to just sleep through.

If you are bottle feeding then I am guessing that she is still hungry - try a later dinnertime, with a pudding and then a bedtime bottle right before you put her down. Again if she wakes in the night just offer water.

When you do go in at night keep the room as dark as possible, be quiet, just lie her down and leave, keep doing this every few minutes - she will eventually sleep.

As for the wind - an offer of cooled boiled water will also help that :)

Do you have a nightlight? My daughter liked a small plug in light when she was tiny,

I know how you feel as I have 3 children and they were all up in the night for various reasons, hope you get her sleeping soon x

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011 20:18 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

It's horrible being sleep deprived, so I really feel for you :( Have you started weaning your daughter, and how far into weaning are you if you have? Is she in your room or in her own room? Sorry, 20 questions!

You could try giving her water when she wakes in the night, but I know a lot of babies do still need feeds through the night at 6 months, so I wouldn't push the water if it's not working. I was really lucky with my little girl sleeping so I don't have much advice I'm afraid, but one of my friends' babies was waking every 2 hours to feed for half an hour (breastfed) and she ended up weaning her a bit early, which did help.

Sorry I've not been much help, I hope some of the other ladies on here can come up with some better advice for you. And I really hope your little starts sleeping better soon! x

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011 21:57 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I really hope you can get her settled better at night soon. I can't really offer any advice, my older 3 children are now sleeping all night, although one of them didn't until he was 3 years, and Jack is 22 months, and still winges during the night. He doesn't cry like he used to when he was smaller, now he just lets a yell out, and goes to sleep again.
She probably will settle a bit, try what the others are saying.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011 21:19 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Oh dear hun hope she sleeps through soon xxx