All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009 11:17 

I breastfed my oldest daughter for 2 - 3 days when we came out of hospital.. i gave up very easily.. my nipples were bleeding.. i felt as if i didnt have alot of support. Im pregnant with number 2 and desperatly wanting to try and be successful this time even if it is for 4 weeks max. ive got a couple of questions that might sound ridiculous but as Im all new to this any answers or advice would be soo much appreciated!

Firstly, How long do newborns normally feed for? Can you get them into a normal routine or do you have to demand feed? Which boob do you give to first and do you offer both boobs in 1 feed? How long does it take to establish breastfeeding propley?

Any other advice would be great aswell!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009 17:18 
Silver Member
Silver Member

breastfeeding can take up to 5 or 6 weeks to become easier. uo until then you always have to check baby is latched on right.
newborns would probably suck all day if you let them. generally i took mine off when i listened to them and they weren't really swallowing any more.
the HV recommends demand feeding.
i usually only gave one side per sitting, and if baby fed again within 3 or so hours, i still kept them to the same side, over 3 or so hours and i gave them from the 'full' side.

breastfeeding is very tiring, and you shouldn't feel bad if you find it too hard.
jack is almost 6 months and i am still feeding him.
pm me if you need to talk.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009 18:12 

Thanks for the advice.. I can imagine its tiring and i think its the latching on problem i had with ym dd but after reading through the forum ive read different stories on how to make sure ur doing this right which is gr8..

3.5hours is gr8 to go betweeen feeds.. my 1st dd was bottle fed and wudnt go more then 2 hours! Hopefully ill be able to even last a few weeks.. well done for lasting so long xx

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009 20:07 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I too found bf very difficult at first, but was so glad I stuck with it. It takes time hunni. I had cracked bleeding nipples, mastitus aswell but kept going, at times i sat crying my eyes out as it hurt so much. However i kept going and suddenly it became easier. I bf for about 7 months till I went back to work.

As for how often it depends. Both of mine cluster fed in the evening. Feeding from six till gone 9 ter a couple of weeks it was tiring- but after a couple of weeks they were in a reg pattern. Every 4 hours or so for 20 mins! They were both quick feeders and easily satisfied.

Well done for giving it another go this timewhen you found it difficlt first time round. :D

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009 20:41 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I had a few weeks where it was very painful, latching her on was horrendous, literally made my eyes water, once we were established the pain went and we both got on well with feeding. I went to a breastfeeding group at the local hospital and that really helped to confirm I was feeding correctly and was also great to hear from other people about how they were getting on.

My little one did however feed VERY frequently, every 1.5 hours in the day and every 3 at night for 3 months. I then began to distract her in the day to stretch her.
Even now at 17 months, she LOVES her food, so I guess she loved it from birth! ha

I eventually gave up feeding at 15 months.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009 21:22 

thankyou sooo much for all ur replies! The reason why I felt as if I couldnt carry on with my 1st daughter is that i lived at partners mums at the time and he has 13 brothers n sisters.. 15 neices n nephews.. the house was always full.. i was very stressed there as you can imagine! even though they didnt all live there guys mum babysits fro alot of the granchildren etc so I felt as if i never had the time and privacy to try and learn and do it.
Ive found a local breastfeeding group that im going to go on and ive had alot more support this time around.

My first daughter never enjoyed her milk at all or food and still doesnt at 2years old but who knows this baby could be totally different.

Thanks for all your replies! x

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009 22:38 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

I breastfed Lewis for 5 weeks and Im so glad that I did it. I fed on demand, as and when he wanted it and I offered him both boobs during a feed so that he could take as much as he wanted. He normally fed for about 30-45 minutes, but I think every baby is different and they will only take however much they want.
I used to always give my left boob first because for some strange reason it seemed to fill up quicker than the right one lol :lol:

After about 5 days my milk was in properly so feeding wasnt a problem for either of us :D

Good luck :D

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009 11:10 
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I breastfed all 3 of mine. The longest was my middle son who I fed for 8 months. All of mine were frequent feeders, usually every 2 hours during the day. The eldest & youngest slept through the night from 5 weeks old but my middle son would still want feeding every 2 hours during the night too! It was very tiring but you just manage (somehow! :shock: ) :lol:

I used to offer one breast at each sitting, then if they had been feeding for a long time (ie 30 mins) & stopped sucking but still seemed hungry I would swap over (that wasn't very often though). I've had mastititis & bleeding nipples too. Not nice but if you have the right support you will get through these hurdles. It is painful at times but it does settle down & you will really enjoy it! :D

Good luck & if you want to ask anything else (even if it may seem small or silly) just ask away! There's no such thing as silly questions! We were all in your position once & we all like to support each other here :D

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009 21:12 

Thanks for all your stories and support!! Im really determined this time round even though i know it may be harder also having a 2 year old toddler wanting my attention but im going to take it a day at a time and hopefully even if i can manage a couple of weeks then at least ive tried!
Im 26weeks at the moment so still a while too go just want to get as much information and be much prepared as possible..

blonde lou.. how do you get over bleeding nipples? do you just sit it out? xxx

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2009 00:44 

Good luck! I think you've already done the most imp thing and found a BF support group. I am just weaning Lottie onto the bottle at 5 1/2 mths, and only because of my shift pattern when I go back to work. Up until she was about 3 months it was only my BF group of mummies and the excellent counsellor that kept me going. This was despite Lottie s;eeping through from about 10 days. It was so worth it though. :D :D