All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009 14:48 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I know the guidelines say that in the first few days, babies lose "approx" 10% of their birth weight and "most" babies regain their birth weight by about 10-14 days - but what about the others ?

Pierre was 3.705kg at birth, by day 3 he had lost more than 10% (lowest weight was 3.280kg I think, but they never recorded it anywhere) so the midwives freaked out. I had to get his weight back up for them to allow me to go home with him so I was on 2 hourly feeds (they even woke me up in the night to feed him :roll: ) - he put on 70g in 24 hrs so we came home on day 4 when he weighed 3.350kg.

He's been feeding well all this week, doing a few little sicky bits in his bed which show he's getting enough milk, weeing & pooing fine, sleeping well at night (feeds at 11pm - 3am - 8am).

Finally weighed him yesterday at home (we had the scales but they needed a new battery) and he was only 3.410kg (at 10 days). Went back onto extra feeds yesterday to get his weight up, he fed loads all day yesterday (I can hear him swallowing and see my milk leaking !) but this morning he had only gained an extra 10g. :shock: At the hospital they said average weight gain was 20g a day.

There are no home visits/health visitors in France so I'd need to take him to the doctor's to get professional advice - but if I do that, they'll probably tell me to supplement his feeds with powdered milk which I'd rather avoid. (Plus I think the usual doc is probably on holiday now - France shuts down basically for most of the summer !!)

Should I be worried ? :|

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009 15:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hello
Im not an expert or anything of the sort, but to be honest i personally would not be too concerned. If you can see the little one taking milk, and he is sleeping/eating/pooing well, and settling in between, I cant see there being much of a problem. As we know they are all different and maybe he is just supposed to put on 10g a day, the main point is that he IS putting it on.
If you are concerned, could you maybe phone NHS direct in the UK and talk to an advisor?
Hope this helps x

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009 15:53 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Hi Cheryl,

My understanding is that the target 1oz (20g) weight gain per day is an average that is actually based upon bottle fed babies, because powered milk takes longer to digest it therefore also is in the babys system longer to convert into fat which is why a bottle fed baby gains weight quicker. Breast fed babies will therefore not normally gain as much as this, averaging 4 to 5oz per week (80-100g). Also on a daily basis there are small fluxuations in weight (i.e. full tummys, bladder etc!) so I would only try to weigh him weekly at a maximum... here they really recommend fortnightly in most situations.

If he is gaining weight, is passing frequent urine/stools, is sleeping, and is content & alert when awake then try not to worry too much, all babies are different and as long as he is gaining weight and not distressed then that is positive.

Other things to consider would be....

Feeding on demand?
Length of feeds?
Quality of milk?

Hope this helps

Lizi :D

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009 15:57 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thanks girls, that's pretty much what I was thinking anyway. I also thought, from one set of scales to another the weight can show up different too so there might be a difference between the scales at the hospital and at home. I'll give it until next week and make sure he's still on the upward curve.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009 16:07 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thats very true - scales can vary slightly. It should give you a more accurate picture next week. I'm sure there is nothing to worry about but we're here if you need us :D

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009 10:36 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

awww thanks :)

Had a slight panic last night - hubby weighed him when he got in from work and he'd lost 20g ... which made no sense to me as he'd been feeding all day long. But then I reweighed him this morning (after just a couple of feeds overnight) and he'd gained 60g ! I'm not going to start obsessing about it, as long as it's back on the up, that's fine. I remember Juliette took "too long" (about 3 weeks, I seem to remember) to get back to her birth weight too and the paediatrician didn't freak out then so it's probably ok :)

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009 11:19 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Brendan never quite lost 10% of his birth weight but it took him over 4wks to get back to bw. & 1 mw told me its normal for bf babies to only gain 2 or 3oz's a wk sorry not sure wat that is in grams & dont know if that is exactly right as i had a few different mws all saying some thing different also had a bf counsillor telling me he should be bf 10 to 12 times per day

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009 11:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

From what you've said i really wouldn't worry!

I never bothered taking keane to be weighed, only for the routine checks they did, i knew he was ok and would have been straight up the clinic if i had any concerns!

You are the same hun, you know if all is well!

I'd just weigh him every week or two if you feel you want to. Weight can fluctuate alot, you weigh more in the morning, so always weigh him at the same time too!

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009 12:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

cheryl59 wrote:
awww thanks :)

Had a slight panic last night - hubby weighed him when he got in from work and he'd lost 20g ... which made no sense to me as he'd been feeding all day long. But then I reweighed him this morning (after just a couple of feeds overnight) and he'd gained 60g ! I'm not going to start obsessing about it, as long as it's back on the up, that's fine. I remember Juliette took "too long" (about 3 weeks, I seem to remember) to get back to her birth weight too and the paediatrician didn't freak out then so it's probably ok :)

From what you've said hun, I can't see any reason for you to worry. The growth charts are based on bottle-fed babies anyway. I remember when the HV came round for the 2 week visit and weighed Oscar. Oscar had already regained his birth weight and she said that that was VERY rare as BF babies usually take up to four weeks to regain their birth weight. For now, so long as your happy that you're lactating, Pierre is latched on properly, feeding regularly and has frequent wet nappies, just don't worry at all! If you are concerned during the next few weeks, have a look online to reassure yourself that all is well. I wouldn't listen to anyone regarding changing anything just yet, at least not until your milk supply is well and truly establish, as people, Docs especially, often instill the fear of god in you. Then, before you know it, you think you're doing it all wrong and in a blind panic, switch to bottle-feeding. There's no need to worry at this stage. Just make sure the little man latches on regularly (every 2 hours or so) to increase your milk supply. As you know, it works on a demand and supply basis, so until your milk supply is properly established (wait until-4-6 weeks), and Pierre still isn't gaining weight, just carry on as you are! :D