All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 May 2012 09:05 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

It's strange how different it is in different areas lol! There common here, everybody I know who has had a baby has organised a one! Although I have to admit I didn't open any presents until Lewis was born!
I was superstitious throughout my pregnancy, I kept it very hush hush. Even when I had my 12 week scan I didn't tell loads of people. I was in college too and didn't tell anybody until I was around 6 and a half months :?

PostPosted: 05 May 2012 09:20 
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Another thing, are they for when you know the sex of the baby? I didn't find out with any of mine so I dunno if there'd be much people could've bought anyway! :lol: I liked that everyone had a surprise (especially me!) & ran out to buy blue when they found out :D

PostPosted: 05 May 2012 09:25 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

BlondeLou wrote:
Another thing, are they for when you know the sex of the baby? I didn't find out with any of mine so I dunno if there'd be much people could've bought anyway! :lol: I liked that everyone had a surprise (especially me!) & ran out to buy blue when they found out :D

Hmmmm I'm not sure about that one? Everybody I know has found out the sex lol! Although somebody I know is pregnant now, she knows what she is having and refuses point blank to tell anybody! On tender hooks :lol:

PostPosted: 05 May 2012 19:16 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I think they're just a bit of fun and commercial like everything else! It gives you a nice lift when you're feeling like a whale! I had gifts before and after Jack was born. All neutral as we didn't know the sex. First from work when I left to go on Maternity and then at my small baby shower which I knew nothing about and then received more after Jack was born. I was probably able to enjoy the gifts more before I had Jack because after the birth it kind of knocked me for six and you spend a long time being too tired to appreciate things fully!

PostPosted: 05 May 2012 19:47 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

I didn't have one as such. At work they had planned gifts for me with Ella but she arrived early. This time again tey had panned gifts which we given to me at school assembly in front of all the kids. As soon as school finished we all went home though.
I'm afraud Im with Yvonne and Lou and int really agree with them we are not American. Same way I disagree with ths nonsense of a graduation ceremony with cap and gown leaving nursery to start school, leaving remarry to start weekday, and then keavjng secondary. Graduation is for uni r college only ffs!
Sorry on my soap box there teehee
Xx

PostPosted: 06 May 2012 10:07 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Omg do children graduate from nursery? Really? :?

PostPosted: 06 May 2012 11:20 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Up here they do - they've stared asking us what we want for preschoolers in June. We've voted against it. Have been on the side as nursery teacher and trying to organise 35 - 40 kids all 4 or 5 years of age, and getting them to sing and wear the cap and gown was a complete nightmare and VERY expensive.
xx

PostPosted: 06 May 2012 12:18 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

No more American than how we celebrate Halloween, Mother's day, father's day etc... and most of us celebrate those. :lol: I'm sure in future years baby showers will be as popular and seem as normal to us as they are

PostPosted: 07 May 2012 09:08 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Halloween is Scottish, there is no way the Americans are claiming that one!!!! We've celebrated that since the Middle Ages.
Mothers Day in the UK derives from the 16th century when Christians would visit their mothers churches on Laetare Sunday, hence why ours is still the 4th Sunday of Lent unlike the US where it is this month. Mothers Day is celebrated at various times around the world, not one for the US to claim either as it derives from various mother celebrations.
I'll give you Fathers Day though :lol:, yep that's from the US. Dads were obviously feeling left out!

PostPosted: 08 May 2012 17:51 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

It just shows how much is american? Do you have proms in Scotland?