All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The New Childbirth
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 20:29 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i had gas and air with both boys allso screamed with both more with thomas tho :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 20:56 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Personally I think I was excellent during labour with Lewis lol :lol:
I had gas and air and then as time ticked on without me dilating, I got onto the dia-morphine. The only time I screamed was when I was pushing him out, but it was more of noise than pain lol!
Once I started I was on a mission!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011 19:55 

I did active birth classes throughout my pregnancy and they were all about natural birth techniques and relaxations. They were detailed about the stages of labour and we even did a 'pain' sessions where we tried out different ways of 'natural' pain relief. We had to hold onto blocks of ice for as long as possible etc. (try it, its horrible. Amazingly labour is not at all like holding blocks of ice lol so completely useless. Think i may have gone into it a bit naively!!)
But i did find the techniques i was taught such as different positions to use during contractions etc useful.

I had a back to back labour and it was agony despite diamorphine and even the epidural. It wasn't in high enough and so still had horrendous back ache. Didn't scream but did cry A LOT and groaned throughout, various pitches (as was taught in class, didn't help a bit but did give me something to think about!!)

not sure there really can be a natural birth, surely we are all different in our personalities therefore different in the way we perceive and deal with pain. Some women may have breezed through my labour with no more than a grimace!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011 22:59 

I find your answer very interesting. You are, so far, the only one I have heard of who went to some childbirth classes. I am pleased they are still being held.
Holding ice???? Amazing what they come up with. Certainly nothing like being in labour.
I know all labours, women and babies are different.....I suffered with the backache labour with my first.
My daughter dreaded giving birth because she wanted all the drugs going! She had four painless Caesarian sections. The first two were emergency ops due to pre-eclampsia. She is not allowed to give birth naturally any way now....and she is very relieved!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011 21:31 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

In my defence, big f*ck off forceps are NOT meant to go up there to help pull a baby out :lol: :lol: It hurts LOTS and LOTS, and then to be stitched for 2 hours with no pain relief HURTS a lot! So yes I scsreamed :lol: :lol:
xx

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011 22:50 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

fiffes wrote:
In my defence, big f*ck off forceps are NOT meant to go up there to help pull a baby out :lol: :lol: It hurts LOTS and LOTS, and then to be stitched for 2 hours with no pain relief HURTS a lot! So yes I scsreamed :lol: :lol:
xx

I would have blooming screamed too! And walked like John Wayne for a month after that!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011 23:14 

confession time now...

I had three babies with no pain relief and was stitched three times. The third time I asked to use the gas and air while being stitched up...WOW! I loved it!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011 13:27 
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Well, I had gas & air with all 3 of mine. I had pethedine with my 1st which I hated, so I never had it again.

I never screamed though, although I did make 'noises' & tell the midwives how much pain I was in with my 3rd because he was back to back & I was in incredible pain when I dropped my gas & air mouthpiece & they were so busy talking to each other that nobody noticed, so I had to shout at them mid-contraction for someone to pick it up off the floor for me :lol: :lol: :lol: