All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Epidural??
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 11:36 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I must admit I had just gas and air and pethadine when I had Harvey, he was 8lb 10oz I am quite small size 8-10 I had a couple of stitches but I felt really chuffed with myself for not having one, but at the same time it hurt like hell! But now I know what the pains like, I think I might ask for one this time :oops:

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 12:08 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I had Monique without pain relief & it hurt like hell it was horrible. I was induced with Brendan & it only hurt during transition then my waters broke & i had no pain at all even the pain from my wisdom tooth went away but i was dreading it cuz i thought being induced it would hurt a lot more but it didnt probably cuz i was calm & relaxed this time try breathing in your nose counting to three then counting to 5 while breathing out. It worked for me cuz focusing on that was a distraction from the pain

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 12:17 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The thing to remember is, it's your choice and there's no right or wrong decision. I know you often get a lot of "I breastfeed so I'm better than bottle-feeders"/"I didn't have any pain relief so I'm better than those who did"/"I worked right up to the end and went back to work early so I'm better than anyone who took maternity leave"/"I make my own baby food so I'm better than people who use shop bought" etc etc mentality but don't get caught up in the competitive mum syndrome, decide what you feel most comfortable with and just ignore anyone who thinks you're making the wrong choices. I'd just like to make doubly clear, I'm not talking about people on here - I was thinking in particular of mother-in-laws who often like to say "in my day there was no pain relief, we just had to bite on a wooden spoon, young mums these days take the easy way out blahdiblahdiblah" :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 15:10 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Oh cheryl you are soooooooo right I know exactly where you're coming from, and I know what you mean there is almost a "guilt" culture from older generations out there towards women who do things the "easy" way, like being a mum should be all about suffering and nothing else and wishing to avoid such agonies somehow devalues us as mums!

I have too endured the "in my day...." lectures :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009 13:08 

Hello,
Epidurals are so appealing to people because they promise to take away all pain....in the majority of cases that is exactly what happens and Mum can experience labour without so much as a twinge.
They also take away all feeling....so you cannot walk about or go to the toilet if you want to. You won't be able to control any bowel or bladder motions and you are basically confined to one spot for the entire length of labour (which can also be longer) and honestly, who likes to poo in a pot?

However, epidurals can leave Mum with problems after the birth, such as back aches, pain where the epidural entered the body and even full and partial paralysis.
Whilst full or partial paralysis is rare, is it something that any Mum should risk?

I personally believe that there are a great deal of women who feel that they cannot cope with the pain of labour and opt far too easily and quickly for epidurals and do not consider any long term effects enough before doing so but as women we are all made strong enough to cope with childbirth......and indeed have done so for many many years.

I also believe that we (as humans) are designed to experience that degree of pain during childbirth for psychological reasons and for reasons of our wellbeing that we may not fully understand as yet, afterall, if that wasn't the case we would have far less painful births like so many other animals. Do we really fully understand what we may take away from our inner learning curves by opting for epidral birth?

I honestly don't think that this is a question that can be answered by anyone else's opinion and relies solely on our own beliefs and feelings.

OP....good luck with whatever you decide....whichever way you go, you know your bundle of joy will be with you very very soon :)

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009 17:42 

i had 2 "normal births" and my last one with epidural and i loved it, i was worried bout the needle but u dont c or feel it, i sat with a massive smile every time someone said i was havin a contraction. it was amazing and i was actually able to experience the birth cuz i had all my awareness, i could still move about the bed and move my legs but not weight bear, i could walk fine and go to toilet 4 hours after birth, the birth was shorter than my last 2 so i wouldnt say it makes labour longer, i think its a gd way to give birth cuz there no pain and the baby is more relaxed cuz the mum aint screamin her head off. There is no reason for women to be in pain durin child birth, but u do have to be firm with the midwives thats what u want, they try to change ur mind, in my opinion they do that for cost reasons. Go 4 it you will be very pleased if u do.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009 11:02 

i had one when i was in labour with my son 4 years ago... my bp was sky high so it got it down quick.... also i was in so much agony because i was induced and baby was also back to back that i decided to have one in the end ( after alot of pursuasion )

IT WAS A GODSEND LOL

im now pregnant with my second baby and due in a week and believe you me ill be having another epidural :D
it didnt leave me with back ache or slow the labour down but i think its because i was already half way through labour when i had one.

only thing is i had to have forceps, but im thinking that was just to get baby out quick because his heart rate had almost stopped, not because of my pushing capabilities.

anyway...good luck hun, and to all the other mum 2 be's xx

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009 12:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had an epidural about 4 hours into my labour, as the pethidine was rubbish, gas and air made me sick, and it was horrible pain so I decided on an epidural. It was fantastic, no pain at all. And im glad about that, because why go through unnecessary pain? I had an emergency c-section in the end, but not because of the epidural. But what I will say is that, im glad I had it because they had to get Rohan out quickly, and wouldnt have been able to quickly had I not had the epidural. It was a godsend, and I would recommend it. I had no side effects, and my back is fine. Its a personal choice and everyone has the right to have it or decline it depending on what their circumstances dictate. If I had managed the pain ok, maybe I wouldnt have had one straight away, but as it turned out I would have needed one anyway for the section.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011 00:38 

I had my epidural when I was in labour with my son. It was first very painful when they injected the very long needle in my spine but I felt comfortable afterwards. After 4 hours of comfortability they induced me in order to fasten my labour. I gave birth normally so while I was pushing and pushing I can't feel anything only just the back where the pressure of the baby really hurts the most.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011 06:41 

I had an epidural with my 2 kids, I can't tolerate pain however, with my 2nd child, they gave me an epidural and induced me after a couple of hours to fasten the labour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next