All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Epidural??
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 12:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gillian that's awful! (((hugs))).

I never wanted to have an epidural as I wanted to be in as much control as possible to push the burger out as quickly as I could! (6 hour labour, in a birthing pool with just gas and air, not bad for a first attempt! LOL). A lot of the women I havce spoken to, like Gillian, have had lots of problems due to their epidural. Lots of them couldn't feel anything, so when it came to pushing, they didn't know when to as they couldn't tell when they had a contraction. Therefore, they tore quite badly, and most of them ended up having assisted deliveries as they couldn't get the babies out on their own. Therefore, meaning very long recovery times (some still haven't recovered, one is having reconstructive surgery on her bits :shock: ).

The SINGLE one thing that completely put me off the idea was that one woman who asked for an epidural had it injected in her completely wrong. When the epidural kicked in, her upper body was completely numb and dead, but she could still feel the contractions and was immense pain. They had done the epidural the wrong way round so that she could still feel the pain of giving birth, but couldn't speak to say a word about how it had all gone horribly wrong!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 16:06 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Jaidynsmum wrote:
Sorry hun, can't help, the mnearest I got was asking for one with Lucas but being told "Oh no you don't want one of those you're doing so well" That was the MW's way of telling me it was too late!
Sal wanted one with Josh but was told she couldn't because the baby had hair :lol: In other words the MW could see the head so she was far too late for one!!

Love it !!! :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 16:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

i had an epidural when i was put on drip to speed labour up with thomas i found it fantastic i was so frightened of giving birth and was vomiting with the gas and air i was in panic mode and it worked fantastic it wasnt strong as i knew when to push and was in control still
i also had one with the other 2 but both never worked only in my legs (not much help for contractions) i was told the 1st one has caused a spinal block

you have to go with what you feel best at the time :D :D

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 16:21 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I wonder if all the people with bad experiences (of not being able to feel/control a thing) had high BP and therefore had a higher dose to bring it down :?: I know that's what happened to me for the first one when I had high BP (and they did say they were using a higher dosage to lower BP). The second time was totally different though because it was a lower dosage. Maybe something to ask them to help make your decision ? What's your BP like ?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 16:36 
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

cheryl59 wrote:
I wonder if all the people with bad experiences (of not being able to feel/control a thing) had high BP and therefore had a higher dose to bring it down :?: I know that's what happened to me for the first one when I had high BP (and they did say they were using a higher dosage to lower BP). The second time was totally different though because it was a lower dosage. Maybe something to ask them to help make your decision ? What's your BP like ?

My BP had dropped to normal once I went to the main maternity hospital so was not actually high in labour. But was sent into be induced as it was high at the time of my appoontment and seen as it was a Friday they never wanted to me go home so induced me. As far as I can remember it was normal during labour so a higher dose was not needed that I am aware.

A very good question to ask though!

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 17:00 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

LOL Forget that theory then !! :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 17:19 
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

cheryl59 wrote:
LOL Forget that theory then !! :lol:

It was a good one though :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 18:41 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice ladies bit of a mixed bag there!! I was induced first time around and it was painful but not horrific only the last hour was really bad, maybe if I am lucky enough to go natural it will not be as painful as my induction with ds1! I think I'll just see how I go and hopefully it will be swift or maybe have one only if I get really fed up and it drags.

x

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 21:29 
Silver Member
Silver Member

hi i never had it with callum and i felt so proud of myself but this time around i am defo in two minds what to do its not the labour that i want it for its the stiches after i am terrifed of that pain sorry but it hurt like hell you just have to do what you want not what anyone tells you best of luck xxx

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 21:41 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Debs i answered ur thread about stitches after I had Brendan cant remember wat I put but dont think you've seen it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next