All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EYE TESTS AND GLASSES
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 13:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Helena went for an eye test this morning and fortunately had a voucher printed off for a Free Eye Test so didn't have to pay for one. However if she'd needed new glasses (she only wears really low prescription ones for the seeing the board/screens in Uni), she would have had to have paid full price for everything. I think it's flipping stupid that everyone else on benefits/low income gets something towards the cost of glasses but students who are on a ridiculously low income and living off loans which they have to pay back, get nothing!!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 13:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree, I think the system is very unfair. When I was dental nursing I used to feel awful telling students they had to pay for their treatment, there was a form they could fill in to see if they could claim their costs back, but more often then not they couldnt, or would only be able to claim back a small amount :(

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 15:48 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

I know the feeling.

When I was pregnant and at college I had to pay for opticians and dentist because nobody told me that I didnt have to!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 16:35 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

suppose on of the benefits of being Scottish. Free eye tests!

Sounds daft but has she looked in Asda for her new glasses???? We wear continous wear contacts - costing £23 a month in Vision Express and are just £7 a month in Asda. There glasses were really cheap and quite fashionable too.
xx

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 23:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kathrync wrote:
Helena went for an eye test this morning and fortunately had a voucher printed off for a Free Eye Test so didn't have to pay for one. However if she'd needed new glasses (she only wears really low prescription ones for the seeing the board/screens in Uni), she would have had to have paid full price for everything. I think it's flipping stupid that everyone else on benefits/low income gets something towards the cost of glasses but students who are on a ridiculously low income and living off loans which they have to pay back, get nothing!!

I used to have bad eye problems whilst at uni, but I could never afford the eye tests or the glasses/lenses. It was only when I finished uni and got a job afterwards that I was able to afford eye care and lenses with my first pay cheque! :shock:

It is rediculous :!:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010 09:23 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

fiffes wrote:
suppose one of the benefits of being Scottish. Free eye tests!

Makes up for the freakin' snow :lol: Always makes me laugh when the big chain opticians obviously have to have the same posters up in their windows and they have FREE EYE TEST TODAY signs up :lol: