6 months 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
Baby led weaning 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Different ages/When they seemed ready 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Weaning poll
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011 19:20 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sorry if it's been done before but thought it would be easier to see results in a poll.
We think we will start to wean Jack around 5 and a half months, 24 weeks, but will see when he's ready

Post subject: Re: Weaning poll
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011 20:09 
Silver Member
Silver Member

When my 2 older children were babies, it was recommended to wean at 3 months, but with my other 2 children, it was 6 months, so I waited until almost 6 months.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011 20:58 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I started weaning Dominic last week at 23 weeks but plan to do it very slowly since I have the time.

With Izzy I was under pressure going back to work and her starting nursery so she was weaned at 5 months. Though I continued to feed her at breakfast and nighttime til she was 18 months.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 08:05 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

It was recommended at 4 months with the older three, I weaned them between 18-20 weeks.
By the time Jaidyn came along it was recommended starting at 6 months....erm yeah pants to that I thought! HV said she wasn't going to argue with me :lol: She was 19 weeks when I started.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 09:12 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

I voted 17 weeks because thats when we started with Lewis, he was a hungry little horace and by 12 weeks even extra hungry milk wasnt enough to keep him going.

I followed the advice of HV and enrolled on a weaning course and it was excellent, learnt how to do it all properly :D

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 10:03 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

See Jack's not a big eater at all and usually only has 4 or 5 oz a feed still. Sometimes 6, so we always make him 6 just in case. He only has around 21/22oz a day a lot of the time though he did go up to 26 for a few days. It's often difficult to get him to finish a bottle.
He is putting on weight though so the HV said that's all that matters though he's usually around half a pound under the 'average'. He's just a lazy eater like his Dad, though we were both 'underweight' growing up so he's never going to be big.
He only has 5 feeds a day because he sleeps through the night
It's funny coz everyone always says what a big boy he is. He is long as well. My OH is tall and I'm average at 5'5.
Maybe he won't need weaning as early if he's not a big eater and doesn't change

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 10:22 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

sarah25 wrote:
See Jack's not a big eater at all and usually only has 4 or 5 oz a feed still. Sometimes 6, so we always make him 6 just in case. He only has around 21/22oz a day a lot of the time though he did go up to 26 for a few days. It's often difficult to get him to finish a bottle.
He is putting on weight though so the HV said that's all that matters though he's usually around half a pound under the 'average'. He's just a lazy eater like his Dad, though we were both 'underweight' growing up so he's never going to be big.
He only has 5 feeds a day because he sleeps through the night
It's funny coz everyone always says what a big boy he is. He is long as well. My OH is tall and I'm average at 5'5.
Maybe he won't need weaning as early if he's not a big eater and doesn't change

Lewis has always been that bit bigger too. He was 8 13 born, although now he is bang on the 50th centile although his height is more on the 75th lol :lol:

Hes nowhere near as big of an eater than he was neither.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 12:09 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Jake was weaned at 4 mths but thats what was recomended back then. Leann was weaned at 6mths but she didnt seam ready at all as just her having a bottle was hard work for her, but she was low weight wise due to being prem then having a condition where she was only on IV fluids for 2 weeks until they could operate, but due to the body only holding iron for 6 months weaning was a must. Lily loves her bottles as its her comfort. She takes 5ozs 6 times a day and sleeps nearly 12 hours at night. I dont have a clue when she will be ready but im hoping to hang on till at least 5 1/2 mths.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 12:19 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Jack was 7 13 when born (they initially told me 7 12 but the bit of paper said 7 13)
He is under the 50th centile but following his own curve
Jack's height has never been measured ad we were told they don't do that anymore, but we know he is long
I do wish he'd eat more sometimes but I suppose he would if he wanted it...?

shell_b wrote:
Jake was weaned at 4 mths but thats what was recomended back then. Leann was weaned at 6mths but she didnt seam ready at all as just her having a bottle was hard work for her, but she was low weight wise due to being prem then having a condition where she was only on IV fluids for 2 weeks until they could operate, but due to the body only holding iron for 6 months weaning was a must. Lily loves her bottles as its her comfort. She takes 5ozs 6 times a day and sleeps nearly 12 hours at night. I dont have a clue when she will be ready but im hoping to hang on till at least 5 1/2 mths.

Loads must still wean at 4 months as all the products ready made start at 4 months..the ella's this post is spam weaning guide says it's good to start at 17 wks as does my annabel k weaning book. Conflicting info all the time. But again we'll see when he's ready.
If the iron starts to go at 6 months as you've said and as i read also, would it not be best to start weaning before 6 months to get them used to food so by 6/7 months they're having meat included in their food to get the iron? If we start at 6 months it might take longer to eat the meat so they're not getting iron as soon?

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 14:58 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

I picked baby led - but really started about 14 - 15 weeks. Ella was starving. I simply couldn't keep up - she was taking 6 or 7 9oz bottles a day at that point. and finished each bottle and wanted more!!!!!!!!!! Mind you she is still a wee grubber.
This time no idea - will go with baby led again. But as they are premies dont know if need to wait till their corrected age reaches 6 months. They are showing no signs of needing it yet though - in fact struggle to get them to feed well at all.
xx