All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tummy migraines!
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2012 09:23 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

It seems every holiday since last October kira has spent it with tummy ache! At christmas we were told it was the noro virus and in feb the doctor said it was tummy migraines - she gets these because we sufferered migraines when younger (and I still do).

Anyway, we were told to give her paracetamol and ibuprofen for pain, and gaviscon before meals to help settle her tummy.

This holiday is worse - she has been poorly since leaving school last friday, we have had to miss out on family meets etc and she has spent alot of time curled up in a ball crying.
Yesterday she wasnt too bad first thing so we went to a play centre, within an hr she was sat with us curled up. we gave her paracetamol and decided to leave. On the way home we stopped by the supermarket - Kira sat in the ailse - in pain and struggling to breathe! her asthma is now being affected too. she was breathing with a bag all the way home until we got her inhalers! she has never needed them like that before!!

I cant do anymore, ive tried hot baths, heat pads, hot water bottles etc, im at my wits end! :( I feel so bad seeing her struggling with the pain.
Looking on the internet it seems children who have these suffer at times of exhaustion, stress, excitement, and can be food related - with kira i think tiredness is most likely the cause.

We have 2 big day trips planned on monday and tuesday - I really want to be able to go, not just kira will be missing out, but the boys too!!

Anyone's children suffer with these?? any tips??

I am taking her back to the doctor as soon as i can, as there does seem to be prescription drugs that can be taken every evening which will help stop the onset of these migraines.

Post subject: Re: Tummy migraines!
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012 08:00 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Can't help hun, but I hope the doc can give her something :(

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012 10:00 

sorry to hear that you daughter is unwell, my husband suffers from these if he eats chocolate, we found this out by keeping a food diary and then cutting out the foods that might have triggered the attack. Also Ibuprofen is not advised for asthma suffers at it can make the asthma worse and bring on an attack.
Hope this helps and she feels better soon.

Rowena

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012 11:12 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Never heard of it chick. I know I get really bad migraines and take a nightly tablet to stop onset - have done for about 15 years now and have it pretty much controlled. Def worth getting Dr to try something like that for her.
Although never heard about ibuprofen bad for asthma either. I have very severe asthma (almost fully controlled thankfully) and use ibuprofen a lot.
If she not any better I would phone NHS 24 and get her seen today rather than wait until at least Tuesday though. Maybe someone who doesn't know her would prescribe something now for her?!
Hope she feels better soon
xxx

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2012 22:47 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

well it got so bad ystdy i called nhs direct,saw a doc,he was reluctant but prescribed anti spasm drugs as he thought she had colic? or ibs!? said not to take ibuprofen as bad for tummys. so stopped that.
were told 1 tablet when really bad,and paracetamol for pain only. had a really bad night, me sat rubbing her back for most of it.
shes now not eating, pain was v bad at 10am, a tab taken but no help. i called nhs direct again, spoke to nurse who told me anti spasm tabs need to be taken 3times a day,to get into system. also said i should give cocodamol for pain! but shes only 10!
i wasnt happy,spoke to a doc who agreed she had to b seen again,off to out of hrs , k perked up a bit. new doc tested wee etc, agreed to antispasm tabs 3 times a day, paracetamol for pain, no cocodamol - he was shocked at that. also gaviscon 3 times a day which she is taking anyway. he agreed is intestine related and she must b reffered to paeds asap.

so anyway,meds taken,very little eaten and shes been in agony since 4pm, ive only just settled her, will b a long night.

i know about ibuprofen and asthma, it only affects some,doesnt affect kiras breathing though. :idea:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012 14:01 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Awwwww poor you Vicky and Kira.
Hopefully she feels a little better soon and you get a quick referral to get her assessed.
xx

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012 19:24 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

well last night was a bit better, up at 3.45 for meds, she was in bad pain from 5am for about 30mins, severe pain but managable.

Today has been better - she has taken all her meds and they seem to be helping. She has been in such little pain that I treated them all to the Circus :D Back at home her tummy is now hurting and her back too but shes happy she got to go out.

I have cancelled our trip out tmw and obviously we didnt get to the zoo today, but I am hoping she will continue to improve enough to go to her dance classes which we booked for thurs and fri.

Tomorrow we are off to the docs for a referral! and I am not taking NO for an answer!!!

Onwards and Upwards I hope!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012 14:58 
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Just catching up here. Did you get any answers Vix? I hope Kira is feeling better now x

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012 15:12 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Just catching up here too?

Hope Kira is ok and not had any more episodes!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012 15:41 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

shes feeling alot better atm - but it will crop up again, just a matter of time.

Doctor gave me another batch of the meds that work for the next episode - shes to have blood tests when it comes back....just have to wait