All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please DO NOT use this forum or its Private Messaging facility to contact the Products Team. You will not get a reply.
If you need to contact the team for any reason please go to The Products FAQ Page

Post subject: FAO Admin
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012 03:17 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I'd really appreciate it if you could remove Slimavite from the list of outstanding products on my review list. It was added several weeks (months?) after I won it in a forum-based competition on the site but this requirement wasn't stated in the competition.

It was also added as a review item the day after my paid review subscription ran out, so basically if I'd renewed after the awful and pointless year I'd just had (and no, I don't want to go into that yet again) then this would have counted as my only poduct for the year as it was worth more than £5.

Post subject: Re: FAO Admin
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012 16:14 
Forum Team Member
Forum Team Member

Will let admin know

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2012 10:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's removed! You have written to us before Hope about the review products you received. The thing is you received a lovely and expensive Lindam Safety Gate along with two other good products in your first year and received a Arc Meningitis Early Alert Pack and a Cleebo along with the Slimavite in your last year. Companies who make products like the Cleebo will only know what people think of their product when Mums like you comment on them. Having the Meningitis ALert Kit in the house is surely a good thing and with luck you will NEVER need to use it. The products exceed your £5 subscription but nobody ever promises that reviewers will get things from their ideal shopping list. Product Reviewing is the luck of the draw and some people have been very, very lucky whereas others less so.

Slimavite asked us to ask all mums who received it whether through Forum/Facebook to review and everyone except you chose to do it.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012 22:42 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thank you for removing the Slimavite, which was added 3 or 4 weeks after the competition and was a competition prize after all.
I said I didn't want to discuss the subscription as I really can't see why I'd want to renew, but as you've tried to justify it here goes.
1. The Slimavite was a forum competition win so surely irrelevant for the purposes of the paid subscription, unless I have misunderstood and only paid product subscribers are allowed to win competitions. And now you've essentially said that it counted as a subscription product so very likely, according to the rules, if I'd paid my £5 I wouldn't have been sent anything else. There are only 2 Slimavite reviews on the site but 10 competition winners, so presumably the other 7 reviews are all on Facebook. I was under no obligation to do a review and also there was no incentive as, unlike the others, this had convinced me not to renew.
http://www.thebabywebsite.com/review.Slimavite.htm
slimavite-the-bite-plan-t28154s30.html
2. Surely each subscription year is done independently so what I had one year should be irrelevant the next year.
3. The safety gate was done through a forum post and therefore nothing to do with the subscription, and if it is related then I've misunderstood.
4. OK, I never expected to get the same amazing products that lots of others seem to get but something I could actually use would have been helpful. There's no way the meningitis pack fits that description, let alone the cleebo which is really intended for babies not 2 year olds, as there's nothing you couldn't do with a glass and info from the Meningitis Trust, and which I already had from a first aid course as well.
Here's what Kathy said about the Cleebo:
can?t-do-a-proper-test-of-the-cleebo-i-was-sent--t26834.html
I offered it on the site but no one else wants it either, and no one on Freecycle was prepared to take it.
I really hoped I'd then be sent something usable (not expensive or on a fictional list, just usable) but instead I got sent the meningitis pack and since then everyone's been hiding behind the rules. :( This is disappointing as I thought you were all better than than and more flexible.
5. The meningitis pack was sent to several mums, but I seem to have been the only one not to have been sent any more products after that.

Please let this be the end of the matter. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do now to convince me to pay rejoin, even though you could have done at the time when I first told you that the products were unusable.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2012 15:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

One final thing Hope, you said - "The safety gate was done through a forum post and therefore nothing to do with the subscription, and if it is related then I've misunderstood." The thing was Hope that we had to ask reviewers through the Forum to volunteer as we couldn't allocate randomly as many people might have already had safety gates and the type of gate might not have been suitable for every house. This was the reason we asked people if they wanted to review them.

The Meningitis Pack retails at £10.99 we were told and if you didn't think it was worth the money, then the company needs to know - hence the whole point of product reviews.

As for referring to previous years, the only reason this was done was to point out that because someone is very lucky one year it doesn't mean they'll be just as lucky the next. Some reviewers have had two years of 'this-and-that' reviews followed by a year of exciting ones. It's all very random and you really don't know what will happen!

With some couples, one of the two is sometimes luckier than the other too. You and your husband haven't had a bad couple of years at all and whatever you say, your products' value has well exceeded the value of the admin fee subscribers pay to be on the Product Review Panel. :)