No matter what time of year you visit Birmingham, there’s no shortage of things to see and do.
It’s particularly good for the kids, with a huge variety of attractions that are sure to keep them happy. Even without leaving the city there’s a whole hub of activity around the canal basins, which is where the city grew up.
- The Sea Life Centre is a fantastic day out for children of all ages, with plenty to see, including the scary shark tunnel as well as lots of other ‘hands-on’ stuff.
It’s right there in the middle of town, right next to the canal, so is dead easy to get to.
- No short break to Birmingham would be complete without a visit to Cadbury World. A short rail journey from Birmingham’s New Street Station gets you to the epicentre of the chocolate industry in Britain for over a century. The visit takes you through the history of chocolate right through to the present day, with loads of samples dished out at various points along the way. The cute little bubble buggies driving around add to the fun and there’s lots of outdoor space to sit out on a sunny day to enjoy a picnic on the grass
- Millennium Point houses the ThinkTank Science Museum, with its working models and multitude of hands-on exhibits and the fabulous ‘Giant Screen’ iMax cinema. There’s also the Digital Planetarium, with its 360 degree dome. These are great places to consider on a rainy day, with so much under one roof you could make a full day of it.
- The Gas Street Basin not only has some lovely walks around the canals and basin, but there are loads of great restaurants, coffee shops and bars to explore. Or why not take one of the many canal narrow boat trips that are available and see the city from a completely different perspective?
- The newly opened Library of Birmingham isn’t just a place to read books. With daily activities and exhibitions, there’ll be something of interest for everyone and whatsmore, it’s only a short walk from all of the city centre goings-on.
Don’t think of Britain’s second city as just a big urban sprawl. Birmingham has some of the most interesting and enjoyable things to do that can be found anywhere in Britain. Whatever the weather, you’re bound to find something that’s great for parents and kids alike and with a fantastic selection of affordable hotels from Hotel Direct located really close to all the attractions mentioned above it is the perfect place to visit if you want everything centrally located and easy to get to.