It’s kind of a modern twist on the classic Victoria Sponge & has been created by Bart especially for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. As you can see from the recipe below, there’s a real mix of unusual ingredients including mint (!), cinammon and Bart Bristol Blend Five Peppercorns! Weird you’d think but believe it or not, the taste combinations work perfectly and it’s really scrummy.
BART’S JUBILEE SPONGE
Serves 10 (or fewer if you have big pieces like us!)
½ tsp Bart Bristol Blend Five Peppercorns
½ tsp Bart Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Bart Ground Ginger
¼ tsp Bart Ground Nutmeg
250g self-raising flour
¼ tsp salt
250g margarine or butter
250g Bart Vanilla Sugar
4 eggs, beaten
For the filling and topping
250g cream cheese
150ml double cream
100g icing sugar
250g strawberries, quartered
- Grease and line 2 20 cm round sandwich tins. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Cream together the margarine and vanilla sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and slowly add to the mixture, along with the eggs.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepared tins and smooth the tops. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until well-risen and golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- When completely cool, cut each cake in half horizontally so you have four thin cakes.
- To make the filling, beat together the cream cheese, cream and icing sugar until thick and smooth. Spread the cream on top of one cake layer and scatter over one quarter of the strawberries and blueberries. Top with another cake and repeat.
Take a look at some More Recipes!